Overseas Filipino Workers are considered modern-day heroes because of the hard work and sacrifice that they do for their families and the country’s economy. Thus, the Social Security System paves way to support and secure them.

By definition, an OFW is a Filipino who is not over 60 years old recruited from the Philippines by a foreign-based company/employer for deployment abroad. Individuals who has a source of income in a foreign country or a permanent resident in a foreign country can also be counted under this category.

For OFWs who would acquire their SS Number for the first time, they should accomplish the Personal Record Form (SS Form E-1) and submit the required documents.

READ: How to Register and Get Your SS Number Online

If the OFW already has an SS Number from previous employment or self-employment, he or she should use the same, but should check in the OFW option box in the Contributions Payment Return (SS Form RS-5) and indicate the address abroad. This will automatically change his or her coverage status to OFW.

Once registered as an SSS OFW member, one should pay his or her contribution in accordance with the prescribed schedule and deadline.

READ: SSS Payment Schedule for Contributions 2017

It is also the SSS OFW member’s responsibility to ensure accurate posting of contributions, accurate information and member details. Likewise, loans should also paid on time to avoid incurring penalties.

Check how much you should contribute. UPDATED: SSS Contribution Table 2017

The Monthly Salary Credit (MSC) which would be the basis of the OFW’s contribution will be the monthly earnings declared at the time of registration. However, it should not be lower than Php 5,000. OFWs do not need to present proof of declared monthly earnings.

OFWs may remit their contribution through any of the the following payment channels.

SSS Branches with Tellering Facilities

SSS-accredited banks

Electronic Payment Facilities

Automatic Debit Arrangement

Overseas Electronic Payment Channel

Participating overseas branches, remittance offices and authorized agents of SSS-accredited collection partners:

An OFW who stopped being employed abroad can change his/her membership type to Voluntary Member (VM) easily without needing to present any requirements. He or she just needs to check the option “Voluntary Member” upon payment of contribution.